Borneo Orangutan Survival Foundation
The Borneo Orangutan Survival Foundation, or BOSF, are known worldwide as Premier Orangutan Conservationists. The Foundation was first established in 1991 when the Orangutan population was fighting extinction due to the illegal pet trade. Since then, the foundation has grown, and with the cooperation of the Indonesian Government, local populations and the greater global community, BOSF now has habitats right across Borneo, specifically in the areas of Central and East Kalimantan.
The installation of Off Grid Power Systems by Solar Power Indonesia for BOSF is an ongoing Project, with Stage 1 already complete. As with any large and extremely remote project, our team encountered numerous issues, that whilst challenging, they were able to overcome swiftly. These included:
- Unpredictable weather – Heavy rains can hit at any time in the jungle, and was a major issue on this project.
- Access Road – Upon arrival, the access road was a river of mud. The truck could not get through, so it took teamwork and coordination with local workers to transfer equipment to smaller, more capable vehicles. What at first looked impossible, became achievable by our amazing team being able to think outside the box.
- Covid 19 protocols – There is a risk with working in proximity to Orangutans when there is a human virus sweeping the globe. Extra precautions were required with nearly every task. PCR tests, daily tests, spraying and desanitizing equipment several times a day took time and dedication from both SPI and local crews.
- Length of Project – Phase 1 took 3 weeks to complete, which is a monumental achievement for men to live in the jungle away from families, working around the clock under such trying conditions.
The BOSF Stage 1 Off Grid System Contains:
Hybrid Advanced multiphase with AC & DC couple Solar.
- 3 x 20KW Selectronic SP Pro Bi-Directional Inverters with Selectlive Monitoring.
- 2 x 40KW Selectsun String Inverters as AC Couple String Inverters.
- 2 x 100 Amp IMark Solar Regulators as DC Couple MPPT.
- 108 KWP Longi Solar Panels as AC Couple Solar Panels.
- 24.75KWP Longi Solar Panels as DC Coule Solar Panels.
- 480KWH Narada Lead Carbon Batteries.
- Commisioned June 2021